FAR 91.205 lists the required equipment for all flights.
- Airspeed indicator
- Magnetic direction indicator (compass)
- Oil pressure gauge for each engine using a pressure system
- Temperature gauge for each liquid cooled engine
- Oil temperature gauge for each air cooled engine
- Manifest pressure gauge for each altitude engine
- Fuel gauge indicating the quantity of fuel in each tank
- Landing gear position indicator, if retractable.
- If certified after 1996-03-11, red and white anticollision light system.
- If over water, and beyond glide distance: approved flotation gear, and at least one flare.
- Approved safety belt for everyone > 2
- If made after 1978-07-18, shoulder harness or restraint for each front seat.
- If made after 1986-12-12, shoulder harness or restarint for allseats.
- An ELT, as required for 91.207
Or, as a mnemonic (retrieved from Ask A CFI), TOMATOE A FLAMES:
- Tachometer (for each engine)
- Oil Pressure Gauge
- Magnetic Direction Indicator (magnetic compass)
- Airspeed Indicator
- Temperature Gauge for each liquid cooled engine
- Oil Temperature Gauge
- Emergency equipment (beyond power off gliding distance over water) pyrotechnic signaling device, flotation device
- Anti-collision Lights
- Fuel Gauge for each tank
- Landing gear position indicator
- Manifold Pressure Gauge for each engine
- Emergency Locator Transmitter
- Safety Belts and Shoulder Harnesses
- Landing light, if operated for hire
- Anti-collision light (beacon and/or strobes)
- Position Lights – Nav Lights (Red on the left, Green on the Right, White facing aft)
- Source of electricity (battery, generator, alternator)