The secret to decent instant ramen is to not use the ultra-cheap maruchan/cup noodles brand ramen. At the very least, get the instant ramen that’s stocked in the asian aisle. This’ll run at ~$1/packet, or about 10x more expensive, but you get way higher quality ramen out of it. If you go to an asian market, you’ll be able to get even better instant ramen there.
The other trick is to use at most 2:1 proportions packet:flavoring ratio. Otherwise it’s way too salty. Even better is to avoid using that flavoring packet and create your own flavoring.
So, bare minimum, we got:
- Bring the liquid to a boil on the stove. At the most basic, this is water. If you’re feeling extra, use a broth. Bonus points for using home-made broth as that’s the cheapest.
- Once the liquid is boiling, add the ramen. 1 packet per person is a good serving size.
- Cook the ramen for 3 minutes. Drain the liquid from the ramen.
- Add seasoning. This can be as simple as the flavoring packet, or something even better.
- I’ve found pepper + italian seasoning to be pretty decent.
- Also a little bit of salt.
In addition to the above, you can also add some vegetables and other stuff to improve the ramen, such as:
- sauteed mushrooms
- green onions
And probably more, but this is all we’ve tried.
Last updated: 2019-06-26 19:29:53 -0700