Things to check/verify when checking out a place to rent. Borrowed/Combined with this lifehacker article, and this comment on the article, which is much more useful.
HVAC & Utilities
- Central or Wall AC
- Heating? What’s that like?
- Water Heater? How many apartments share it? Where is it?
- Verify all sinks, showers, and toilets work.
- Check how how they take and how long it takes sinks & showers to get hot.
- Verify shower pressure
- Verify no toilet backup
- Shared? Or are we the only ones with access?
- What’s it wired for? (220 V AC would be great for EV charging)
- Gas or Electric?
- Do burners work?
- Verify that all cupboards are clean. Shine a light in them.
- Verify fan works
- Check for mold
- These should all be grounded.
- Capacity. Can we run everything all at once?
- What’s their general policy on this?
- Who’s responsible?
- Do they have recommendations on who to call?
- How long were they there?
- Why are they leaving?
- What has the interest been since it’s been listed?
- What have prospective tenants found concern with?
Neighborhood and Surrounding Area
- Check a crime heat map.
- How far is the nearest grocery store? Is it good? How far is the nearest decent grocery store?
- What is there to do near the place?
- Where are the nearest coffee shops?
- How’s the commute like to your jobs and other common places to go?
- How are the other people in the area? Mostly people renting or owning? Students? etc.
- “General care and upkeep: are old nails, window hardware painted over a million times? Did previous painters mask the light fixtures, or just paint over them? Indicates they use bargain handyfolk”
- “Potential weekend-wakers: church nearby, early gardeners outside, children, garage door under unit, streetcar/bus line, construction”
- Verify all locks work.
- Noise from neighbors: Above, Below, next door.
- Did you notice any bugs?
- History of rent increases.
- Where to store bikes.
- Does landlord visit often? What are there expectations/policies when visiting?
Last updated: 2019-07-03 14:35:18 -0700